South Texas Alternative Choice offers Continuing Education Courses. Courses may be ordered by contacting us or by calling (210) 239-1167.
Continuing Education cost is $9.00 per credit hour by correspondence and $12.00 per credit hour in-class rate.
Course fees must be paid prior to the start of the class. No refunds are given once correspondence course materials are received by the student and kept for 24 hours. Most classes can be taken by correspondence. Classes can be given at your facility for 3 or more students.
If a class is canceled or there is a change in schedule, you will be notified at least 24 hours in advance.
A certificate of completion will be given for each course taken. Keep your original certificate in a safe place. Give a copy to your employer. A $10.00 fee will be charged for an original certificate replacement if requested.
NOTE: CLASSES OFFERED BY VALERIE TAYLOR, BSN, RN MEETS THE CONTINUING EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS ASSISTED LIVING LINCENSURE. BELOW IS A LIST OF CONTINUING EDUCATION CLASSES. LIST UPDATED AS OF JANUARY 28, 2013.
- Abuse, Neglect, and Patient Rights
- Activities for your Residents
- Administration of Oral Medications
- Aggression and Dangerousness
- Basics of Care in Residential Care Homes (for caregivers and CNA)
- Basic Communication Skills
- Basic First Aid
- Basics of Oral Health for the Elderly
- Blood Borne Pathogens and other diseases
- Caring for the resident with Congestive Heart Failure
- Caring for Residents with Parkinson’s
- CPR/First Aid (Initial and Update)
- Coping with Death and Dying
- Coping with Stress
- Crisis/Relapse Plan Development
- Death and Dying
- Dementia Care & Alzheimer’s Disease
- Depression Care
- Diabetic Resident: Type I & II
- Documentation Guidelines
- Eating and Feeding Problems in the Elderly
- Fall Prevention in the elderly
- Heart Attack, Understanding
- Handling Common Resident Emergencies
- Insomnia in the Elderly (Cause and Treatment)
- Infection Control: The How and Why?
- Managing Difficult Behaviors/Crises Intervention
- Mental Health and Mental Illness: Diagnosis and Care
- MRSA Infection
- Nutrition: Meeting the resident’s needs and Nutrition Basics
- Nurse Delegation
- Parkinson’s Disease Care
- Personality Disorders, Understanding
- Prevention of Pressure Sores
- Principles of Medication Administration
- Respiratory Care
- Safety and Disaster Planning
- Seizures: Caring for Residents
- Stroke Care
- Suicide Behavior
- Taking the battle out of bathing
- Team Building
- Transferring Residents Safely
- Traumatic Brain Injury Care
- Understanding skin care and bed sores
Classes can be requested by calling the office at 210-239-1167 or ordered on line. Classes will be sent out as soon as possible. The cost for 12 hours of Continuing Education is $108.00. The cost for 6 hours of Continuing Education is $54.00.